Hand Picked Handmade N beyond Buddy contest Winner
Artists: Nivedha Selvaraj and Amala Savee Remigius
“Your wings already exist, all you got to do is fly”
Time Taken: 8 hours
Why Amala and me?
She is also interested in arts. She was my roommate but now lives in Japan. Though she stays far, we
share a special bond and she has always been there for me. Conceptualization and material procurement
(disc and coffee filter paper) was done by Amala and design & execution was done by me.
How the idea hatched?
When we came to know about the contest, we thought we would create something that has meaning to it
apart from being labeled as just a product. We discussed a lot and finally came up with the theme that best
describes us, free, independent individuals who believe in expressing their thoughts and who fights for it
even if it means standing alone. We wanted the product to go hand in hand with the concept and the time
machine perfectly fitted the bill. “Liberated Soul” was thus born!
Liberated Soul - Description
We are bound by the rules this society imposes on us. What we are and what we want to be fades off in
due course and we lose our individuality. Our wings do exist, all we got to do is just fly, only then we could
reach for the sky.
Liberated Soul – Decoded
Materials used : (Most of the materials are recycled ones)
1. Canvas board
3. Cardboard carton box
5. Canvas wooden sticks(Comes along with the canvas board for support)
6. Net cloth
7. Coffee filter paper
9. Wooden embellishments
10. Acrylic colours
11. Craft glue
12. Clock parts
• Tear off the cardboard carton box into separate sheets. Stick the sheets on canvas as per design. I
wanted to give a vintage look, so chose it to stick it to the bottom of the canvas as it gives a layered
• I stuck a layer of orange colour net cloth(sleeves of a salwar, good that I like wearing sleeveless)
on the top part of the canvas. Next, I took strips of newspaper and used it randomly. Newspaper
for sure adds vinyl touch to any art work.
• The sketch basically represents a girl who wishes to fly like a bird. I have done the girl’s hair using
flowers and other embellishments. Major portion of her head is covered by the disc.
• Place the disc and see if the sketch looks appropriate. (can glue it later)
• The flowers had been done using coffee filter paper. I used buttons to make it look like the old
time machine .
• On top of the time machine, I painted the birds white with their wings open. The wings of the
birds are done using canvas wooden sticks
• Now, I glued the disc to the canvas, I wanted an embossed one, so stuck two wooden sticks to the
base and then mounted the disc on it.
• Then, I painted the entire canvas board as per the look I wanted. ( I usually paint at the end, since
its easy to maintain the shade throughout).
• Finally, I fixed the clock parts and put the battery, to give life to the liberated soul I was creating.