Search This Blog

Saturday 9 November 2013

Interview with business owner VAIBHAVI/JV Creations

Handmade N Beyond spoke with Creator of Vaibhavi and JV creations


Business:  VAIBHAVI /JVCreations
Name:  Jothi Vinod
Location:  Sharjah, UAE




How did you get your start?
As a child and teenager I had an inclination towards arts and crafts, loved this show M.A.D on POGO, used to note down things to do, but most of the times lack of time or unavailability of materials kept me away from the world of creativity.  Glass painting was the first form I tried, thanks to one of my friends who briefed me about the basics.
During my post-maternity rest phase, I took up jewelry making from a neighbour aunty and was engrossed in jewelry making whenever I could find time to spare.

Once I settled in the UAE and our kid started school, I had enough free time and needed to keep myself engaged.  Hence, brushed up my interest, took formal classes in paper quilling, and tried various creative things.
What INSPIRED you and WHEN…
I always loved colours, I just love to wee through the clothes displayed in textile shops for the colour combinations and textures……I am self-taught mostly but yes Google Guru was always there to help!!!! 
Inspiration to start a business came when I had enough free time and when I saw many facebook pages where artists displayed their work and even sold via facebook business pages.  So I thought of trying too.

Do you have formal training?
I took a basic jewelry making class and a workshop on paper quilling basics.

What is your day job?
I am a homemaker.  My day starts even before the Sun is up, finish all my work early enough to create something everyday and I am happy the way I do.

What's the best part of having your own business?
Flexible timings, freedom to try what I like are the best.  In the name of biz I get to spend on beads, paper and other craft stuff and can do hours of shopping at craft stores, bliss!

How do you plan for the future of your business?
I am not a big fan of planning, I do things spontaneously but yes I am leaning and will definitely improve over course of time.
As an Artist, what is your biggest frustration?
Frustration comes to me when the outcome is not as I imagined, when someone disturbs me when I am in a mood to create and when customers bargain without taking into account the effort and love we have put into each piece.

Are there any crafters/artists/designers that you particularly look up to?
No one in particular, but I keep browsing to see what other artists are creating and try to achieve a level of perfection that others have.  HNB has introduced to me many artists/crafters who are great inspiration for me.

What advice can you offer other creative people who are just starting out and following their passions?
You may not be successful initially, have faith in self, enjoy what you do.  Perfection is the key, so try to achieve perfection in what you do.  Success has to knock your door sooner or later.

How can fans purchase your work? Do you take custom orders and special requests?
My creations can be purchased through my facebook page JV Creations or Vaibhavi.  I also take custom orders.  I can be contacted on jothikannur@gmail.com or craftyvaibhavi@gmail.com for any queries.


No comments:

Post a Comment